Sunday, January 31, 2010

Happy Birthday, Michael!


Celebrated my 59th birthday today. As my brother, Chris, says, "Dangerously close to 60." But I have to admit I'm pretty lucky. I am retired and have some control over how I spend my time, I have a job that I enjoy, I can pay my bills, I have a bit of extra money in the bank, I eat pretty well, I have 6 fabulous grandchildren, and I get to wake up every morning next to my best friend and the most amazing person I've ever known, my wife, Jane.
I had what I consider a prefect day. I slept in, Jane cooked us breakfast and we cought up on the news and had a few laughs. I spoke with or heard from my daughters and grandkids who all seem to be learning to say "Happy Birthday, Poppa" with enthusiasm. I talked with Chris for about 45 minutes and Jane and I spent some time at Barnes and Noble reading and just enjoying each other's company. We also ran into my dad and his friend Marion there as well. We ended the day with a dinner of steak, asparagus and potatoes... and of course German Chocolate cake and ice cream. As far as I'm concerned, life doesn't get much better than that!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dad! Sounds like you had a perfect day and I know it's going to be a perfect year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir, you are obviously both inspired as well as iinspiring. I commend both your vision and your decision to blog. Joliet benefits from your elegant, yet sincere manner. Here is a bit of thought for your birthday:

    "He who is not capable of being contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have either. He who cannot be contented is not healthy... not normal. Chaos is as certain to follow them through life as dust on a gravel road. Our lives must be punctuated by dreams.... but not as sustenance to our daily existence. The secret of life is not to focus on its mystique blindly or dreamingly, -but to have a solid core of knowledge and values which are viewed in the light of an undying appreciation for the specter and romance of the divine chaos that all our lives exist. This construct of ‘being’ is the vessel by which the eddies and mists of our multidimensional universe displace. To have just the compass that is our dreams, or just the knowledge and values which is our ship... is insufficient for life’s journey. We should focus on our vessel often, while punctuating the nightly chaos with sessions around our compass -for it IS true that without it... we would be lost."

    PS. Nice looking meal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday Mike! Best wishes for the upcoming year...and don't worry--60 isn't SOOOO bad. It really beats the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect day, Dad!

    ReplyDelete